I took Dan’s advice from his Watch any Movie or Read any Book for Free! post and started checking out my local libraries online. Many of the titles had a notation under the listing “Available Online” or “Click to download this book”. I clicked the link and it connects to the OverDrive system. OverDrive has an app for just about every platform: iPhone, iPad, Android, Chromebook, Windows Phone, Windows 8, Kindle Fire HD, and NOOK® HD/HD+.
Here’s how easy it is. I downloaded the app to my iPhone. Added a library.
Checked out an Audiobook.
Started listening right away.
- Every title checked out is automatically returned. Never a late fee.
- Place a hold on titles that are checked out and automatically check them out when available along with an email notification.
- OverDrive has more than 2 million eBooks, audiobooks, and videos in their library.
- Instant access to tons of fantastic content for absolutely free.
- Super low investment: no need to drive to a library and check out a title or read reviews on Amazon before you buy.
I also downloaded the app to my Kindle for reading eBooks.
Out with the Old, In with the New
I enjoy listening to the audio books during my commutes, but after at least 6 years of use, my FM transmitter has started falling apart.
I picked up this new iCleaver FM Transmitter from Amazon. I’ve had it for about a month and it’s worked great so far. The cool thing about it is a scan feature which is really handy when you are driving in different area. If you’ve ever done it before, trying to find an open station can be a giant pain. Also with the 3.5mm cable you can plug it into a wide range of devices.
Remember, you do need a library card/number to login and check out titles, but OverDrive is linked with over 30,000 libraries in 40+ countries, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
I have always been a slow reader, but a strong auditory learner. I finally figured out late in high school to stop taking notes during lectures and just listen. With Audiobooks through OverDrive, I can tear through titles much faster than reading. I am thoroughly enjoying the service and I hope you do the same.
Chase your raison d’être,